October is shaping up to be another busy month in the heart of Durango with multiple happenings and happenings. Here’s a look at some of the fun times to come.
- On October 5 from 5:30-7 p.m., join the Snowdown who’s bored of the admins (yes, that’s how they spell it) at the Snowdown 2023 launch event. Watch the unveiling of poster, learn about volunteer opportunities and sign up to host events. The Snowdown 2023 theme is Shakespeare, and the dates are January 27 through February 5. This is the 44th year for the annual Cabin Fever Relief. Visit Snowdown.org for more information.
- BID and the Animas Valley Balloon Rally bring you the sixth Downtown Hot Air Balloon Glow. This year, it will take place over two evenings instead of just one. Join us in the 500 block of Main Avenue on October 14 and 15 to see six hot air balloons and three chandeliers shine through historic downtown Durango. Arrive around 6pm to see the balloons inflate, and from 6:30-7:30pm the balloons will light up. The schedule is subject to change and the event depends on weather and wind. Learn more at DowntownDurango.org/downtown-balloon-glow.
- Children’s Halloween is always a great time for local children. This always takes place on Halloween Day, which this year is Monday, October 31. Bring your kids 10 and under, in costume and accompanied by an adult for a safe and fun Halloween trick or treat. Local first responders will hand out stuff and treats alongside up to 100 businesses. New this year will be a Halloween carnival at TBK Bank! Learn more at DowntownDurango.org/childrens-halloween.
- Don’t forget the Durango Cowboy Poetry Gathering, held at multiple downtown venues from September 29 through October 2. Colorado’s largest non-motorized parade will take place October 1 starting at 10:30 a.m. on Main Avenue. Visit DurangoCowboyGathering.org for details.
- Be sure to visit the Durango Farmers Market on Saturday mornings in October to get these fall harvest treats. The market moves its start time to 9 a.m. in October and continues until noon every Saturday of the month. It is held at TBK Bank. Watch for holiday market information soon.
- The Four Corners Comedy Festival takes place the same weekend as the Cowboy Poetry Gathering – September 29 through October 2. There are shows all over town at multiple locations – get out there and have a laugh! Point your web browser to FourCornersComedyFestival.com for the full schedule and tickets.
- Finally, the Rocky Horror Show will be held for three nights at the Durango Arts Center. Get your tickets for October 28, 29 or 30.
You can find out more about all these events, and many more, at DowntownDurango.org/events.
I look forward to seeing you downtown and in the North Main District during the fall and winter months.
Tim Walsworth is executive director of the Durango Business Improvement District. Contact him at [email protected] or 375-5068.