Guest Carriers and Sky Boxes Among New Attractions at 50th Balloon Fiesta
New and returning special activities announced for guests of all ages
Albuquerque, New Mexico – More than 600 hot air balloons will take off for the blue skies of Albuquerque from October 1 to 9, to celebrate the 50e Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, powered by ExxonMobil. While balloons in flight are still a sight to behold, there are many new and returning attractions for guests.
- Fiesta Sky Box: The Fiesta Sky Box package offers a VIP experience for groups of up to 20 people. The experience includes access to a specially equipped shipping container that offers an overhead view of Balloon Fiesta, from a prime location at the launch field. Included for $5,000 is admission to the event, private access to the Box’s upper deck seats for balloon and fireworks viewing, seven premium parking passes, “Grazing Boxes” supported by Slate Street Catering and a host bar. Two Sky Boxes will be located at the north end of Balloon Fiesta Park.
- Balloon Fiesta Transporters Replacement Trolleys: “Balloon Fiesta Transporters” will shuttle between the parking lots and the launch field. The eight transporters will hold 23 people, are open-air, have padded seats and will be pulled behind vehicles. More information about the carriers and their stops will be available in the Balloon Fiesta App.
- Looney Tunes car parks: This year’s parking lots will be renamed and color-coded to coordinate with Warner Bros. characters. Additionally, Balloon Fiesta guests will be able to tag their location on the Balloon Fiesta app (Apple Store, google play) allowing them to find their vehicle once the hot air balloon events have ended for their session.
- Reconstruction of the first hot air balloon: During the opening ceremonies on October 1, 13 hot air balloons will take off immediately after the “hot air balloons of the day”. The 13 balloons will pay tribute to the first Balloon Fiesta which took place on April 8, 1972. Commemorative banners will be unfurled from each of the 13 gondolas, each honoring the original balloons and pilots, including.
- Overview of the Air Force: The United States celebrates its 75e anniversary this year and will help celebrate 50 years of Balloon Fiestae with a flyover during the opening ceremonies on October 1. This is the first time the Air Force has allocated such resources to Balloon Fiesta.
- Breastfeeding/Changing Stations: Three private stations will be made available for breastfeeding and changing. In conjunction with the New Mexico Breastfeeding Task Force, Balloon Fiesta will offer three stations located in tents at gates 20, 32 and 12.
- Ariel’s Surprise Event: Guests will be treated to a never-before-seen air show at the Balloon Fiesta at 5:45 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday mornings as well as all five evening sessions at 7:45 p.m. Details of this special exhibit will be released on October 1. .
- Balloon Glow: The events now known as balloon glows were invented in Albuquerque in 1979 when local pilots inflated balloons on Christmas Eve as a thank you to local residents. The current world record of 142 hot air balloons was installed on March 1, 2022 in AlUla, Saudi Arabia. The smallest of Balloon Fiesta’s signature Balloon Glows features 200 hot air balloons on static display. This record could be set and broken multiple times during the 2022 event on the evening of October 1, 2, 7 or 8. The largest number will be submitted to Guinness World Records.
- RC balloons: A variant of traditional flights, this event abandons hot air balloons and gas in favor of remote-controlled hot air balloons. This is the largest gathering of remote-controlled balloons in the world, 83 participants will present their mini balloons on October 2, 5 and 7 at 7:30 a.m. The event organizers will submit documents to set a new Guinness World Record for “The largest exhibition of hot air balloon models», the current record is 55 balls established by a German enthusiast in 2015.
- Hot Air Balloon Discovery Center: After a 2-year hiatus due to COVID-19, the Hot Air Balloon Discovery Center will be back. The center will feature educational and interactive exhibits for learners of all ages. Guests can learn about wicker weaving, the parts of an air balloon, the ins and outs of the Albuquerque box, and more.
- Music FestivalMT: The music festival will be back after a 2-year hiatus due to COVID-19. Three distinct artists will take the stage at Music Fiesta 2022MT. Restless Road, Lainey Wilson and headliner Cole Swindell are due to perform on Saturday October 8th.
- The Fastrax team: The world’s largest professional parachute display team will be back with more skydiving entertainment. Evening sessions on October 1, 2, 6 and 8 will feature the team’s high jumps and precision landings.
- 25e America’s Challenge Race: One of the world’s premier gas balloon distance races, this event crowns the balloonist who travels the longest distance. Nine teams will be launched on Saturday, October 1 at 6:00 p.m., weather permitting.
- Fiesta of Wheels Auto Show: The annual car show and ensuing parade will kick off at 9:00 a.m. on October 2, the first Sunday of the Balloon Fiesta. Special interest, classic and vintage cars will be available for viewing.
- Chainsaw carving: Each morning, chainsaw carvers will take part in an exhibition, using chainsaws to transform ordinary logs into extraordinary works of art. Thereafter, a live auction will take place to sell the new creations. Additional sculpts will also be available for purchase.
- Fireworks: Each Glow session will end with a stunning AfterGlowMT Pyrotechnic show.
About the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta
The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, powered by ExxonMobil, is a hot air balloon festival held in October in Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States. It is the largest gathering of hot air balloons and balloonists in the world. The 2019 event generated $186.82 million in the economies of Albuquerque and the state of New Mexico. For more details on events, schedule, entertainment and photos, visit our website www.balloonfiesta.com and follow us on Twitter @BalloonFiesta and Facebook.
# # #